Using the Ovulation Calculator to increase chances of conception
Are you trying to get pregnant? You need to figure out the best time for conception. Ovulation calculator is a perfect tool to help you enhance your chances of successful conception. Discover when you are most likely to ovulate and increase the chances of conception.
What is an ovulation calculator?
Ovulation calculator is a tool that helps you discover the most fertile days of your menstrual cycle and the best time to try to conceive. An ovulation calculator is easily available on the internet. Using it is the most simple task where you need to enter the first day of your last menstrual period and your usual cycle span, and it will reveal the result displaying the most acceptable time for your conception.
Besides the ovulation calculator, few other natural ways can help you ascertain your ovulation period. Using them alongside the ovulation calculator can raise the accuracy of the result. Following are the natural methods-
- Basal body temperature chart – As the name resembles, this chart keeps a record of the change in temperature after ovulation. It does not determine the exact ovulation time. Still, after watching the chronicles of a few completed menstrual cycles, you will be able to understand a pattern through which you can estimate the ovulation.
- Mittelschmerz - Mittelschmerz is also known as ovulation pain, and it could be mild to sharp pain that you feel at the right side of the lower abdomen. The pain may last from a few minutes to a few hours. It occurs approximately 14 days before your next menstrual period.
- Cervical Mucus monitoring - The hormone level changes during the complete cycle, alongside the volume and texture of your cervical mucus, depict the changes. By identifying those changes, you can predict ovulation.
Some other ovulation symptoms may include
- Sex drive may increase
- The Cervix turns soft, and opens up a bit.
- You may observe some light spots
- The vulva and vagina may seem swollen
Ovulation test kit
Ovulation predictor kit (OPK) is an at-home test that can help you determine your ovulation. It is another way to cross check the result of an ovulation calculator. The function of the kit or the strip is to detect a hormone in your urine. The level of hormones increases when ovulation is about to take place.
The kit checks for a luteinizing hormone that is produced around 24-36 hours before ovulation; it will help you recognize the best two days for conception.
If you have a regular menstrual cycle, then the ovulation predictor kit can help you figure out the probable days for ovulation. However, if you have an irregular menstrual cycle, then you would have to use more than one strip to ascertain the ovulation.
Relation between ovulation and conception
Conception is likely possible when a man's sperm fertilizes the woman's egg. The process begins when your body starts releasing follicle-stimulating hormones, which further facilitate the development of follicles on one of the ovaries. The follicle holds and nurtures the egg. Once the follicle turns mature, the eruption of luteinizing hormone makes the follicle rupture and discharge the egg, which reaches the fallopian tube when ovulation occurs.
This is the phase where fertilization of the egg is possible. The follicle drives out the egg, which is now termed as corpus luteum. It further releases the progesterone hormone that facilitates the thickening of the uterine lining and the development of blood vessels. It provides the environment for the embryo to live within it.
How does the ovulation calculator work?
The ovulation calculator calculates the ovulation based on the first day of your last period. If you are trying to figure manually, you need to pin down a possible ovulation time by reverse counting from the next expected period. If you are aware of the average length of the menstrual cycle, which could range between 28 to 40 days, ovulation will likely fall anywhere between 12-16 days before the beginning of the period. Ovulation calculator available on the internet can help you derive the result for ovulation within a few seconds as when you enter the pre-requisite form.
The use of an ovulation calculator provides the estimate of the most fertile period that can help for successful conception. This is a rough estimate as the result assumes that your menstrual periods are regular, but if the periods are irregular, you cannot rely upon them with surety.
The best option is to take into account more than one method other than the ovulation calculator to get a firm and accurate result. One must keep in mind that the ovulation Calculator and the other considered methods are helpful, but certain other factors also exist that influence ovulation. The following points must be taken into consideration to determine ovulation accurately.
- Proper intake of prenatal vitamins
- Consideration the estimated time of ovulation and have intercourse around it
- Have a sound, balanced, and nutritious diet
- Perform moderate exercise that boosts the fertility
- Keep yourself away from stress
- Get enough sleep
- Say No to bad habits like intake of alcohol or caffeine, smoking, and follow a proper daily routine